PASADENA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT 2014-2015 OPEN ENROLLMENT ENDS THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2014
Applications for New Magnet Programs, Dual Language Immersion, International Baccalaureate, Themed High School Academies and Other Signature Programs Accepted Only at www.openenrollment.info
PASADENA, Calif–The window for families to apply to a Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD) school for the 2014-2015 school year through Open Enrollment will be closing this Thursday, February 6, 2014.
Open Enrollment is the district’s school of choice program that offers students the opportunity to attend schools with themed or specialized programs or a campus outside of their neighborhood school’s attendance boundaries. All students living within PUSD boundaries that will be entering kindergarten-12th grade in the 2014-2015 school year are eligible to participate in Open Enrollment. Families who live outside of district boundaries are also able to submit an application of interest to www.openenrollment.info.
“I encourage families interested in a school outside of their neighborhood attendance boundary to apply by the Thursday deadline,” said PUSD Superintendent Jon R. Gundry. “There are many choices available to area families that provide students with a solid academic foundation, skills to be 21st century global citizens and preparation to be critical thinkers, creative problem solvers and strong communicators.
Signature programs for the 2014-2015 school year that are available through Open Enrollment include:
DUAL LANGUAGE IMMERSION PROGRAMS
- Two K-5 Spanish Dual Language Immersion programs at San Rafael Elementary and Jackson Elementary Schools
- A K-5 Dual Language Immersion Program in Mandarin Chinese at Field Elementary School.
- Dual Language Immersion Middle School Programs in sixth grade with Spanish at Blair School and Mandarin Chinese at Sierra Madre Middle School (New for 2014-2015)
- A Spanish Dual Language Immersion and Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Magnet at Jackson Elementary School (New for 2014-2015).
- A STEM Magnet Program at Washington Accelerated Elementary School (New for 2014-2015)
- The Washington STEAM Magnet Academy at Washington Middle School
- An Arts Magnet Program at Eliot Middle School (New for 2014-2015)
INTERNATIONAL BACCELAUREATE (IB) PROGRAMS
- The IB Primary Years Programme (Grades K-5) at Willard Elementary School.
- The IB Middle Years Programme (Grades 6-10) and the IB Diploma Programme (Grades 11-12) at Blair School.
COLLEGE AND CAREER PATHWAYS
Ten themed high school academies that partner with local institutions and businesses to provide mentoring and workplace learning opportunities:
- Academy of Creative Industries Pathway at Marshall Fundamental School (New for 2014-2015)
- App Academy: Mobile, Web and Game Development at Pasadena High School
- Arts, Entertainment and Media Pathway at John Muir High School
- Building and Design Pathway at Rose City High School (New for 2014-2015)
- Business and Entrepreneurship Pathway at John Muir High School
- Creative Arts, Media and Design Pathway at Pasadena High School
- Culinary Arts and Hospitality Academy at Blair High School
- Engineering and Environmental Science Pathway at John Muir High School
- Health Careers Academy at Blair High School
- Law and Public Service Pathway at Pasadena High School
PERMIT ONLY SCHOOLS
- Don Benito Fundamental School
- Norma Coombs Alternative School
- Marshall Fundamental School
To participate in PUSD’s Open Enrollment, families need to complete the 2014-2015 application online at www.openenrollment.info. Applicants may indicate up to five school choices in order of preference. Open Enrollment closes on February 6. School placement is by random lottery and placement is not based on when an application is submitted. Families participating in Open Enrollment will be notified about their school placement by March 1, 2014.
Assistance and computers for Internet access to complete the online application will be available on Thursday, February 6 at school sites during school hours and at the PUSD Education Center located at 351 South Hudson Avenue in Pasadena. Families can learn more about PUSD and its schools by viewing the PUSD School Guide at gopusd.com/schoolguide. For more information about the Open Enrollment process, timelines and answers to frequently asked questions, please visit www.openenrollment.info or call 626-396-3600, ext. 88340.
For Immediate Release, February 4, 2014
News Media Contact: Adam Wolfson, (626) 396-3606, firstname.lastname@example.org