The Pasadena Fire Department reminds you that every year children are at risk of serious injury while trick-or treating. The Pasadena Fire Department would like to offer these safety tips:
- Never leave children unattended.
- Wear costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure that costumes are short enough to prevent tripping, entanglement or contact with flame.
- When shopping for costumes, wigs and accessories purchase only those with a label indicating they are flame resistant.
- Obtain flashlights with fresh batteries for all children and their escorts.
- Review with your children the principle of "Stop-Drop-Roll", should their clothes catch on fire.
- Take extra effort to eliminate tripping hazards on your porch and walkway that may prove hazardous to young children rushing from house to house
- Consider fire safety when decorating. Do not overload electrical outlets with holiday lighting or special effects, and do not block exit doors.
- Always keep Jack O' Lanterns and hot electric lamps far away from drapes, decorations, flammable materials or areas where children and pets will be standing or walking.
- Wait until children are home to sort and check treats. Though tampering is rare, a responsible adult should closely examine all treats and throw away any spoiled, unwrapped or suspicious items.
- Drive carefully and be alert when driving in areas where children are trick-or-treating.
For more information please call the Pasadena Fire Department at (626) 744-4675