Nuisance Violations

In order to provide better customer service and accessibility to police services, the following FAQs, answers, web links and other information is provided.  If you cannot find the information you need below, please contact us at (626) 744-4501.


Are there noise laws or restrictions in Pasadena? 

Yes.  Pasadena Municipal Code (PMC) 9.36 addresses property noise violations and prohibits unnecessary, excessive and annoying noises from all sources.   

It is unlawful for any person to create, cause, or permit to be made, or continue any noise or sound which exceeds the ambient noise level at the property line by more than 5 decibels.  If excessively loud noise of any kind is disturbing your peace, contact the Department at (626) 744-4241 and an officer will be dispatched to investigate.  If the noise from your neighbor persists and the officer is called back, you may be asked to file a formal complaint against the offending neighbor.  

Permits and business licenses for amplified sound may be issued by the City with specific compliance criteria, including the days and hours of operation(s), location and type of amplification. 

If a loud car alarm persists for more than 45 minutes and the owner cannot be located, the vehicle may be impounded under state motor vehicle law CVC 22651.5.  In addition, CVC 27007 restricts allowable noise from a vehicle on public property to 50 feet.  Operators may be cited and the amplified equipment can be seized as evidence. Contact the Department at (626) 744-4241 for assistance. 

Construction-related noise is only permitted between the hours of 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday per PMC Section 9.36.070.  

What can I do about my neighbor’s barking dog?

If there is excessively loud or prolonged barking of a dog that is disturbing your peace, and your neighbor refuses to take corrective action, contact the Pasadena Humane Society at (626) 792-7151 and an Animal Control Officer will be dispatched to investigate and hopefully resolve the situation. 

For more information about dog licensing, animal shelter and care issues, visit the Pasadena Humane Society website at www.pasadenahumane.org. 

If the noise from your neighbor’s dog persists, you can make a complaint with the City Code Enforcement Section by calling (626) 744-4633 about your neighbor maintaining a nuisance animal.  PMC6.18.040 empowers the Code Enforcement Commission to conduct a hearing to determine whether or not the situation involves a public nuisance dog. 

Does the City of Pasadena have curfew laws? 

Yes. PMC 9.68 provides that minors (under age 18) cannot be present in or upon any public or private street, road, drive, alley, or trail; any public or community park or recreation area; any public ground, place, or building; or any vacant lot or abandoned or vacant building between the hours of 10 p.m. and the time of sunrise of the following day, except in the following situations:   

1. Accompanied by a custodial person or by the minor's spouse who must be over 18                                                                             

2. On an errand directed by, and in possession of a written excuse from, a custodial person or   spouse over 18 years of age 

3. Engaged in or going directly to or returning directly from a school-approved activity 

4. Engaged in a lawful employment activity or in a place in connection with or as required by a business, trade, profession, or occupation in which the minor is lawfully engaged, or going directly to or returning directly from such activity 

5. Engaged in or going directly to or returning directly from any other lawful activity with written permission from a custodial person or spouse over the age of 18 

6. Involved in an emergency or seeking medical assistance 

7. Exercising rights protected by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution or Article 1 of the California Constitution, including but not limited to: free exercise of religion, freedom of speech and freedom of assembly 

8. In the right-of-way abutting the minor's residence 

9. In a motor vehicle involved in interstate travel 

10. Emancipated pursuant to State law and California Family Code Section 7000, et seq. 

How can I report prostitution, narcotics or gang activity in my neighborhood?

If you observe a non-violent prostitution, narcotics or gang activity in progress, call the Department at (626) 744-4241 and advice the police dispatcher who answers your call. An officer will be dispatched to investigate and take appropriate action. 

If the problems of prostitution, narcotics or gang activity are in your neighborhood, but not in progress, please contact:  

Vice/Narcotics: 1-800-222-8477 or e-mail concern at wetip.com 

Special Enforcement and Gang Unit: (626) 744-4585  

Neighborhood Services Unit: (626) 744-4505, or online at http://cityofpasadena.net/police/community_services/ 

West & East Pasadena                           Kitty Johnson, Police Specialist IV 


                                                                   (626) 744-7650 

Northwest Pasadena                              Hilda Jurado, Police Specialist IV 


                                                                   (626) 744-7659 

Central & Midtown Pasadena              Karla Kauhola, Police Specialist IV 


                                                                   (626) 744-7657 

How can I report wild animals running loose in my neighborhood?

Call 911 immediately if the animal is posing a threat to life or property. Otherwise, call the Department at (626) 744-4241 and advise the police dispatcher.  An officer may be dispatched to monitor the situation and call in additional resources as necessary. 

How do I apply for and obtain a permit to carry a firearm?

The Chief of Police is given the statutory discretion to issue a license to carry a firearm to residents within the community, Penal Code § 26150; Penal Code 26155.  The Department will fairly and impartially consider all applications to carry firearms in accordance with applicable law and Department policy.  Contact the Police Department’s Administrative Services Section at (626)744-4574 to discuss the process for obtaining a permit. 



Posted: 3/17/2014 11:30:00 AM
Water Usage Gauge