Victims of Crimes

 In order to provide better customer service and accessibility to police services, the following FAQs, answers, web links and other information is provided.  If you cannot find the information you need below, please contact us at (626) 744-4501. 


What is Domestic Violence?

Domestic Violence crosses over several state statutes and can be perpetrated in several different ways other than a simple assault.  To qualify as a Domestic Violence crime, the victim must be related to the abuser (regardless of sexual orientation) in one of the following ways: spouse or former spouse; co-habitant (living together as a couple) or former co-habitant; have or had a child together; and is, or has been, in a dating relationship. 

What if I am a victim of Domestic Violence?

Immediately call 911 if you have been intentionally injured, or you are in imminent danger of being assaulted by someone you are in a relationship with, or had a past relationship.   Officers will respond quickly and facilitate you receiving medical attention as necessary.  Our officers can help with confidential, transitional housing and an emergency protection order. 

If there is no immediate, life-threatening danger, and you believe it is safe to do so, call us at (626) 744-4241 to report the domestic violence incident.  An officer will be dispatched to investigate the situation. 

The Pasadena Police Department has access to numerous resources to help victims, or potential victims, of domestic violence.  Call (626) 744-4241 and ask for the Youth and Family Services Unit, normally staffed from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays.  Patrol officers can also provide referrals to local domestic violence advocates and resources. 

What is Child Abuse?

Child abuse is defined as any offense, or attempted offense, involving violence or neglect with a child victim (any person under the age of 18) committed by a person responsible for the child's care or any other act that would mandate notification to law enforcement or social service agency. 

What do I do if I see or suspect a child is being abused by an adult?

Call 911 immediately if the child has been injured, or is in imminent danger of injury.  An officer will respond.   A law enforcement entity should be the first agency notified on all child abuse matters.  If you wish to remain anonymous regarding your reporting of suspected child abuse or neglect, contact the Department at (626) 744-4241.  It is important to the child’s health and well-being that suspected incidents of child abuse be reported as quickly as possible to provide protection, intervention and family services.   

If you suspect a child may be living in a neglectful or abusive situation and don’t want to report to a law enforcement agency, you can also call the Department of Children and Family Services (DCSF),  Child Protection Hotline at 1-800-540-4000. 

What is Elder Abuse?

Elder abuse is defined as any offense, or attempted offense, involving violence, neglect or financial crimes (theft) against a person over the age of 65 that is committed by a caregiver. 

What do I do if I see or suspect elder abuse?

Call 911 immediately if the elderly person has been injured, or is in imminent danger of being injury. An officer will respond.  If you suspect an elderly person living in the City of Pasadena may be living in a neglectful or abusive situation, including a long-term care facility, you may report the abuse to the Los Angeles County Adult Protective Services (APS) Hotline at 1-800-540-4000, or 1-213-639-4500. 

What happens to a person once they are arrested?

Detained persons are legally subjected to handcuffing.  If a person is arrested for a misdemeanor crime, they may be “cited and released” at the scene—issued a citation to appear in court at a later date. It is possible that they could be booked in the jail due to no valid identification; the likelihood that they will continue to engage in illegal activity; further investigation is needed at the scene or at the station, or the incident involves domestic violence.   

If a person commits a serious crime and it is determined they will be booked at jail, they are handcuffed before being transported to the Pasadena City Jail.  In the jail, the suspect is processed for booking, searched, photographed, fingerprinted, and a computer database check is performed to verify the suspect’s identity and status of any outstanding warrants. 

Bail is set, and unless it is paid, the person will remain in custody until his/her court appearance, usually within 72 business hours.  The arraignment judge will determine any further bail amounts and if the suspect is to be released or kept in custody. 

What is a citizen's arrest?

State law allows you the right to arrest another person for a criminal act committed in your presence.  The Department recommends that unless it is absolutely necessary, you should avoid taking the direct action of a citizen’s arrest and instead call police in order to avoid a physical confrontation with the suspect(s) and possible injuries.  In some specific situations, you may have no alternative but to make a citizen's arrest.  In that case, be sure to call the Department as soon as possible, fully informing us of the circumstances.  You must also sign a private person's arrest form that the Department will provide.  The responding officer will take custody of the arrested person and proceed as legally appropriate.  You may be required to testify in court regarding your observations and actions. 

Often Misunderstood Terminology: (1) Burglary vs. Robbery; (2) Trespassing vs. Loitering; (3) Terrorist Threats; and (4) Assault vs. Battery

1. Burglary vs. Robbery 

These two theft crimes are often used interchangeable but they are very different.  A person who breaks into an unoccupied home, business or locked car with the intention to commit theft has committed burglary.  A person who takes property from another person by force (like a purse snatch) or fear (threats or use of a weapon) has committed a robbery.   

2. Trespassing vs. Loitering 

Trespassing occurs when a person enters, or remains on, private property which has properly posted signs prohibiting entry or after having been directed to vacate the property by a responsible party. Loitering involves remaining in a public place without legal business.  

3. Terrorist Threats 

Terrorist Threats are very specific felony crimes involving a threat of death or great injury from a person capable of committing said threat.  This crime is often confused with people who provoke a fight or make threatening phone calls, which are lower level crimes of a different classification.  

4. Assault vs. Battery 

An assault is generally a felony crime involving serious injury or by use of an instrument that may cause serious injury.  A battery is usually a misdemeanor and involves minor or no injury.  Several factors play into the appropriate classification and ultimate criminal filing including: severity of the crime; whether the person actually struck the other person or solely attempted to; use of a weapon and severity of the injury or injuries inflicted. 

To obtain additional details regarding Penal Code sections, click this link.


Posted: 3/17/2014 11:30:00 AM
Water Usage Gauge