• public_works-content

Department of Public Works


    Frequently Asked Questions

    1.  Who is responsible for repairing damaged sidewalks in the City of Pasadena?

    Per Section 12.04.030 of the Pasadena Municipal Code, sidewalk repair is the responsibility of the abutting property owner even if the damage was caused by a City owned tree.

    2.  What is the Pilot Sidewalk Repair Partnership Program?

    This is an incentive program to assist property owners with repairing sidewalk damaged by City tree roots. The City will match 50% of the cost of the sidewalk repairs, subject to a cap of $1,000 per parcel. For income-qualified residents, a match of 70% of the cost of sidewalk repair, subject to a cap of $1,000 per parcel.

    3.  How do I become income-qualified?

    Income qualifications are based on Pasadena Water and Power Electric Assistance Program (EUAP) http://cityofpasadena.net/waterandpower/CARE/

    4.  Who qualifies for the Pilot Sidewalk Partnership Program?

    Property owners with property located within City of Pasadena with existing sidewalks that are damaged by City tree roots will qualify.  Property owners cannot be currently engaged in sale of property and/or building permit process (improvement valuation of $20,000 or more).

    5.  How long will the Pilot Sidewalk Partnership Program last?

    The Partnership Program has limited funding and is on a first come, first serve basis until the funds have been expended.

    6.  How do I apply for the Pilot Sidewalk Partnership Program?

    Contact Department of Public Works at
    626) 744-4191 or visit the website at http://cityofpasadena.net/publicworks.  Request or download an application and return to Public Works at:

    100 N. Garfield Avenue, Room N306
    Pasadena, CA 91101
    Attn.:  Pilot Sidewalk Repair Partnership Program

    7.  What is the process for the Pilot Sidewalk Partnership Program?

    After receipt of an application from the property owner, the City will inspect the sidewalk locations to determine qualifications, condition, project limits, and if the sidewalk was damaged by City tree roots. The City will then send an agreement to the property owner with the cost. The work will be scheduled once payment has been received.

    8.  Who is responsible for repairing damaged walls, steps, walkways, and driveways on my property?

    Property owners are responsible for all repair work on their property, even if the damage was caused by a City tree in the parkway.

    9.  Who is responsible for repair of the City’s curb and gutter?

    The City repairs curb and gutter (at no charge to the property owner) just prior to the resurfacing or the slurry sealing of the street. If the curb or gutter is damaged, hazardous or unsafe, please contact the Department of Public Works—Engineering Division at (626) 744-4191.

    10.  What about my damaged driveway approach between the curb and sidewalk?

    The Pilot Sidewalk Partnership Program does not apply to damaged driveways even if the damage is caused by City trees
    .  Any damage to drive approaches, including the curbs within the drive approach, is also the property owner’s responsibility. The City is not currently repairing or replacing drive approaches for property owners; however partial replacement is occasionally necessary when the abutting sidewalk is replaced by the City.

    11.  Will the City remove the tree in front of my property?

    In many circumstances tree roots can be pruned to accommodate sidewalk, curb and gutter reconstruction. Forestry staff will facilitate selective root pruning on the tree’s root system. The City will make every attempt to preserve healthy trees. The City Arborist will perform a hazard evaluation at the time of inspection and will make a determination on the tree’s condition. Sections 8.52.070 and 8.52.080 of the Pasadena Municipal Code and the Tree Protection Ordinance apply.

    If you have further questions, please call the Department of Public Works Engineering Division at (626) 744-4191. Questions specific to trees should be directed to the Department of Public Works Parks and Natural Resources Division at (626) 744-4321.