• Bike Lockers

Department of Transportation

  • Intersections Controlled By STOP Signs

    Purpose of STOP Signs

    STOP signs formally notify drivers of a required stop that other drivers must make and yield the right of way to for intersecting traffic.   

    Motorists facing a STOP sign are required to stop at the marked stop line (or before entering a crosswalk or encroaching into an intersection, if a stop line is not painted). California Vehicle Code 21802 then requires the driver to yield the right of way to any vehicle within the intersection or approaching it so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard.  Drivers are also to yield the right of way to pedestrians in the intersection’s crosswalks. 

    STOP signs are not used simply to control the speed of vehicles.  Research has shown that STOP signs are not as effective in reducing vehicle speeds as traffic calming measures and placing signs where they do not meet warrants can result in higher speeds between intersections.   

    STOP Sign Placement Requirements  

    The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) dictates the size, shape and color of all traffic control devices for city, state and federal jurisdictions and has established guidelines that must be followed for placement of STOP signs.  (These guidelines ensure continuity when driving from state to state.) 

    The Pasadena Department of Transportation (1) conducts an investigation of traffic conditions at an intersection and (2) performs a warrant analysis of the data to determine whether an installation of STOP signs is necessary based on the state guidelines established in the traffic manual.  Factors that are taken into consideration for the warrant analysis include, but are not limited to: 

    • Traffic volumes (vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists)  

    • Visibility at intersection  

    • Type of area (residential, business, recreational, etc.)  

    • Collision history  

    • Distance from other traffic control devices  

    • Proximity to a school  

    How To Request An Investigation for Additional STOP Signs  

    Requests for STOP signs should be submitted by mailing a letter of request to: 

    City of Pasadena – DOT
    Request for STOP signs
    221 E. Walnut St., Ste. 210
    Pasadena CA 91101    

  • Report Issues to the City OnLine

    You may report needed repairs and other issues online through the Pasadena Citizen Service Center.   Get information about or submit a service request for:

    CSC Button 
    • Animal Control Issues
    • Code Compliance
    • Garbage & Graffiti
    • Park & Tree Maintenance
    • Public Transportation Issues
    • Street & Sidewalk Issues
    • Food Safety & Parking
    • General Comments  & more ...

    To use the service, go to the Citizen Service Center and click on "Submit a Request."   Once you have submitted the request you will be contacted by the appropriate department. 

    Looking for general information?  Search our list of FAQs.

Water Usage Gauge