1) What is a Temporary Parking Permit?
There are two types of Temporary Parking Permits. The first is a Temporary Overnight Parking Exemptions (TOPE). You can purchase a TOPE either online or at one of our five convenient kiosks in the City, for 1 to 10 consecutive nights at a time. You can purchase TOPEs up to 30 days in advance. However, exemptions sold through the kiosk cannot be purchased in advance, as they are valid starting the day they are purchased. The cost of each TOPE is $3 per night, plus an additonal $1 processing for each TOPE purchased online. TOPEs purchased at a kiosk can be paid for using cash or credit cards.
The second Temporary Parking Permit can be purchased at the Parking Division. The cost of this permit is $21.92 dollars per month and is valid for 30 days from the date it is purchased. 30-Day Temporary permits are renewable for a maximum of 6 months, and a maximum of two permits per residency.
2) How many permits can I apply for?If qualified, each residence can receive up to a maximum of 2 permits per residence.
3) How do I qualify for a temporary on-street parking permit?
To obtain a 30-Day Temporary permit, the applicant must provide a copy of their current vehicle registration and submit copies of ALL vehicle registrations for all vehicles parked at the residence which they are applying for. They must provide ALL vehicle registrations to prove that there are more vehicles than there is space. All registrations for vehicles parking at the residence must show and match the address listed on the application.
Please click here for Temporary Parking Permit Application.
4) How do I apply for a permit?
5) Do I need to bring in my vehicle registration(s)?You will need to provide a copy of the CURRENT vehicle registration form(s) for ALL VEHICLES parked at the residence where you are parking. All registrations for vehicles parking at the residence must show and match the address listed on the application.
6) What if I have a company car?If you have a car registered to a company that you take home at night, in addition to the CURRENT vehicle registration, you will need to provide a letter from your supervisor on your company’s letterhead indicating that that specific car has been issued to you and that you are authorized to take the vehicle home at night and park it at your residence. The letter must include the address of your residence.
7) Do I need to bring my vehicle registration(s)?
Yes, you will need to provide a photo copy of a valid and CURRENT vehicle registration for ALL VEHICLES parked at your residence. ALL vehicle registration(s) submitted MUST show and match the address as listed on the application.
8) What happens after you receive my application and registration(s)?Your completed application and the photocopy (ies) of your vehicle registration(s) will be reviewed by the Parking Division for the following criteria:
9) What can I do to prevent citations while my application is being processed?You may purchase a temporary parking exemption from one of the City of Pasadena's Temporary Overnight Parking Exemption Kiosks (or buy online).
10) What happens if my permit is approved?If your parking permit application is approved, you will be notified by email or phone. You MUST pick up the permit in person at the Parking Division. Payment is due at the time you receive your permit. ALL outstanding parking violations (for each vehicle parked at your address) MUST be paid prior to the issuance of your permit. Approved applications are only valid for 30 days from the approval date. Permits not picked up during that time will be voided.Note: Receipt of notification does not exempt you from citation if your temporary permit has expired.
11) What happens if my application is denied?If your parking permit application is denied, the Parking Division will notify you by email or phone and follow up notice sent by mail. Should you have any questions regarding the denial, please call (626) 744-7665.
12) What is the fee for the permit?The fee for a temporary overnight parking or daytime parking permit is $21.92 per permit, per vehicle, per month. You may pay with cash, check, VISA, Master Card, American Express, Discover or most ATM cards. No refunds or credit will be issued for 30 day temporary parking permits purchased.
13) What if I need to park overnight on the street while I am preparing my paperwork?If you need to park your vehicle on the street prior to submitting your permit application, you may purchase a temporary permit from one of the City of Pasadena’s Temporary Overnight Parking Exemption Kiosks (TOPEK) or online. The cost is $3.00 per permit, per vehicle, per night. Temporary daytime exemptions are not available at the kiosks. Please call (626) 744-6440 for daytime temporary exemptions.
14) Where can I get information about Annual Parking Permits?
Please click here for information about annual parking permits.
Please note: Holiday Overnight Parking Citation Moratorium – 2 am to 6 am, from December 23 thru January 3. Vehicles legally parked on the street during the aforementioned hours and dates will not receive a citation for overnight parking. Overnight parking citations will resume being issued the morning of January 4, at 2 am.